Singapore implemented aviation security measures for hand-carried luggage on flights departing Singapore since 8 May 2007.
These measures are in line with the International Civil Aviation Organization’s (ICAO) recommendations, made after the reported United Kingdom aviation terror plot in August 2006 and following the recommendations on these restrictions issued by ICAO on 30 March 2007.
These guidelines restrict the amount of liquids, aerosols and gels (LAGs) that passengers can carry in their hand-carried luggage and they apply to all flights departing Singapore.
Passengers are advised to check-in all LAGs that do not meet the guidelines. LAGs in hand-carried luggage should be packed in accordance with the guidelines, before passengers arrive at the airport.
The guidelines on hand-carried luggage are:
- LAGs must be in containers with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml each. LAGs in containers larger than 100ml will not be accepted, even if the container is partially-filled.
- Containers must be placed in a transparent re-sealable plastic bag with a maximum capacity not exceeding 1-litre. These containers must fit comfortably within the transparent re-sealable plastic bag, which must be completely closed.
- Each passenger is allowed to carry only one transparent re-sealable plastic bag, which must be presented separately for examination at the security screening point.
- Exemptions will be made for medications, baby food and special dietary items. These items will be subjected to additional checks at the security screening point.
Passengers are encouraged to check in 2 to 3 hours before their flight (subject to airlines' requirements).
- Drinks, including water and juices
- Soups and sauces
- Perfumes and deodorants (liquid or liquid-solid mixture)
- Creams, balms, lotions and oils
- Cosmetics such as mascara and lip gloss
- Pastes, including toothpaste
- Pressurised foams and sprays, including shaving foam, hairspray
and spray deodorants
- Gels, including hair and shower gels
- Contact lens solution
- Any other items of similar consistency
LAGs in container with a
maximum capacity of not
more than 100ml
Less than 100ml of LAGs in
containers larger than 100ml
LAGs containers that fit
comfortably in 1-litre
LAGs containers in 1-litre
plastic bag that cannot be
Torn tamper-evident bag